You are currently viewing Sreenidi Deccan won, Mumbai Kenkre FC and Churchill Brothers played  out a 1-1 draw.

Sreenidi Deccan won, Mumbai Kenkre FC and Churchill Brothers played out a 1-1 draw.

Sreenidi Deccan FC 1 : 0 TRAU FC

Sreenidi Deccan FC picked up a 1-0 win against TRAU FC in their Hero I-League 2022-23 match at the newly-inaugurated Deccan Arena in Hyderabad on Thursday (November 24, 2022).

Playing their first-ever match at their new home venue, the hosts took the lead in the 41st minute through David Castaneda Munoz, which ultimately proved to be the difference between the teams.

The first half began slowly, with chances few and far between. Both sides worked hard to create scoring opportunities, but the defensive lines on either side were compact and solid.

In the 10th minute, a rebound from a free-kick fell to Komron Tursunov at the edge of the penalty area, but his shot did not pose a major threat. Two minutes later, Sreenidi’s Rosenberg Gabriel volleyed a first-time effort from a cross, which was straight at the goalkeeper.

Salam Johnson Singh fashioned TRAU’s best chance of the half in the 19th minute. The winger cut in from the right flank and fired in a shot, which was saved by Aryan Lamba in goal for the home team.

At the half-hour mark, Gabriel had a great chance to put his team in the lead. The pacy forward beat his marker and only had the keeper to beat in a 1-v-1 scenario but lost his composure and shot waywardly.

Just as the half looked to be ending goalless, the hosts found the net in the 41st minute through Castaneda. Sreenidi earned a free-kick 25 yards from goal and the Colombian placed it right into the bottom corner to give Bishorjit Singh no chance.

The home outfit almost doubled their lead two minutes after the restart, with Gabriel in the thick of the action once more. Cutting in from the right side, he entered the penalty area and blazed his shot narrowly over the crossbar. Minutes later, Faysal Shayesteh had a shy on goal from a free-kick but it lacked power and was easily collected.

The visitors continued to give away fouls in dangerous areas, inviting Sreenidi to shoot from set pieces. Asraf Ali Mondal almost found the net in the 58th minute on one such occasion, but his shot cannoned off the upright and Gabriel could not make good use of the rebound.

TRAU looked to push forward but were unable to make any serious inroads into the opposition’s defense. As time wore on, the desperation levels grew for the Manipuri side, which was on display in the 77th minute. Baoringdao Bodo, on as a substitute, went into the referee’s book for intentionally handling the ball to put it in the net from a cross by Buanthanglun Samte.

The away side threw the kitchen sink at Sreenidi towards the end as they continued their search for the equalizer. However, they could not find the breakthrough, as the match drew to a close with the score at 1-0.

With this result, Sreenidi Deccan FC make it two wins on the bounce after their loss in the first round. On the other hand, TRAU FC suffer their first defeat of the season.

Mumbai Kenkre FC 1 : 1 Churchill Brothers

Hosts Mumbai Kenkre FC and Churchill Brothers played  out a 1-1 draw in a highly competitive encounter of the Hero I-League at the Cooperage in Mumbai on Thursday (November 24, 2022).

An early first-half goal by Azfar Noorani was cancelled out late in the second-half by Lalkhawpuimawia as Churchill Brothers finally opened their account in the points table in their third outing. Mumbai Kenkre FC now have four points from their three games.

The game started in a flash as Kenkre shot into the lead in the sixth minute when Ranjeet Pandre passed the ball to Azfar Noorani, who drifted inside the Churchill box from the left and finished flawlessly with an angular shot. Two minutes later, home team skipper Kiran Pandhare almost doubled the lead when his header skimmed past the goal following a corner taken by Aravindraj Rajan.

As the match progressed, Churchill Brothers started making inroads into the rivals’ box but the hosts too worked hard to foil the Goan attackers. In the 27th minute, Noorani received the ball in his own half and passed it for Pandre to catch the Churchill defence off-guard. However, Churchill custodian Albino Gomes came out of his line to deal with the attack competently.

Pandhare dominated the midfield for Kenkre, while Noorani remained a constant threat on the left through his skills and pace as the home side made good impact through counter attacks. Churchill Brothers dominated the game in terms of ball possession but failed to test Kenkre goalkeeper Padam Chettri too many times.

The second half started with Churchill receiving a freekick near the Kenkre penalty box in the 48th minute. Momo Cisse launched a powerful shot to the top corner but Chettri made an outstanding save to deny him what could have been a spectacular goal.

Ten minutes into the half, Churchill’s Lamgoulen Hangshing received the ball on the right and crossed it for Richard Costa, whose attempt was saved by Chettri. On the other hand, in the 61st minute, Cisse made a mistake in judging Kynsailang Khongsit’s cross which reached Pandre. But luckily for Churchill, Pandre’s shot went over the crossbar.

With seven minutes of regulation time left, The Red Machines equalised. Tana took a free kick aiming for Cisse in the box. The Churchill skipper flicked the ball for Joseph Clemente, who then headed it to Lalkhawpuimawia to slot home the equaliser.

Thereafter, both the teams tried their best to take full points home. In the end, Churchill got the closest as Tana launched a cross into the box from a corner kick in the final minute of add-on time. Cisse rose the highest but his header was straight at the keeper Chettri who grabbed the ball as the referee blew the final whistle.